How to Have a Perfect Life

This year I learned that there is no such thing as a perfect life. This might seem like common sense, but all of us can forget this from time to time. Our friends’ social media posts or parties might leave us feeling like we can never have a life as great as theirs. But heres a secret: people feel the same way about you. 

This year I started learning how to live with a chronic illness. I met other wonderful women with chronic illnesses who showed me how much strength and grace it takes to live a fun and full life while battling an invisible illness. Their Instagram posts and snapchat stories were often the very ones I coveted, wanting to have their “perfect” life. It was through my fellow #chroniclife people that I learned that no one has a perfect life.

I follow a girl on Instagram that has gorgeous long blonde hair, a cute dog, and a super sweet husband. She lives in an amazing house, eats delicious home cooked food, and travels often. I wanted nothing more than to be transported into her life. However, she also posts realistic posts. She has an autoimmune disease and her body is riddled with tumors. She is in and out of hospitals and doctor’s offices. In between surgeries and treatments, she travels and eats her delicious food and takes pictures of her cute dog. No such thing as a perfect life. 

So I’ve made my main New Year’s Resolution: Do not covet and don’t compare yourself to others. I’ve spent my whole life wanting what other people have and wanting to be like other people. But I’ve learned my lesson this year. And if you don’t take anything else away from this post, take this:
That girl who has the hair you would give your right leg to have could very possibly hate her hair and want hair like yours. That person who seems to have the perfect life, does not. They have family drama and financial stress and days when they stay in their sweats and cry. So love what you have. Be thankful for what you have to work with. 

I hope 2017 is a better year than 2016 was. Let’s all agree to just take 2016 as a strength building exercise and move forward with an open mind and heart. Happy New Year to you all! May 2017 be filled with blessings and realizations that what you have is amazing.


0 comments:

Post a Comment