Day 1 | Cali Coast Adventure!

This year, we went on a vacation down Highway 101 in Oregon and California! "We" includes my mom, me, my cousin Hannah, and my aunt. It was a 10 day vacation if you count the days traveling there and back. Maybe I'm just writing this blog as a sort of diary for myself, or maybe someone actually wants to read about my vacation! If you are that person, thank you so much!  
We woke up bright and early at 3AM in New Orleans after having driven there the day before. Our 6 AM flight took us to Dallas, and then to Portland Oregon. One of my favorite things about flying is getting above the clouds where the sun is always shining. I like to imagine the clouds as the ground of a whole other world, maybe with little cloud people living in it! 
Once we got to Portland, we were overwhelmed with all the things happening! There was a big flea market type deal called Portland Saturday Market. Me and Hannah specifically liked one booth that sold cups of mangos and strawberries! I could probably eat my entire weight in mango..
We had planned to go to the famous Voodoo Doughnuts, but it was SO famous that the line was almost a block long! Needless to say, we moved on to lunch at The Thirsty Lion, which was a lively bar/grill with DELICIOUS burgers. I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Portland!
When in Rome, do as the Romans do. So we blended in with the locals in the park (aside from all our touristy photo taking). I spent hours fawning over strangers' dogs. Portland is a VERY dog friendly city, which was a quite pleasant surprise for this dog-deprived college student. 
Portland is a gorgeous city with a niche for any type of person. We only had a few hours to spend there, so I want to go back for much longer very soon! 
We left Oregon, headed south for Lincoln City, Oregon. My aunt, being the fresh fruit lover she is, suggested we stop at this little roadside farm to buy some strawberries. Delicious does not even begin to cover it. And they were about the size of my palm! Organic? Maybe not. Worth the possible pesticide poisoning? Definitely. 
No matter how much of the coast we saw in these 9 days, I never got over the cliffs and rocks right along the water. We don't have beaches like that here in Mississippi, and every beach seemed more beautiful than the last!
We stayed at the Inn at Otter Crest in Otter Rock, Oregon. It was very windy, cold, and foggy. However, the landscape looked more mysterious and fun with all the fog! I feel so at home anywhere there is a mountain. As beautiful as the coast was, I think I fell more in love with the towering evergreen peaks that lined every road we traveled on. 

If you want a slightly different perspective, check out the vlog of Day 1!

0 comments:

Post a Comment